Saturday, 20 July 2013

Author Interview #1 Robert D. Spake

1 Why do you write?

It's just become part of my nature now, you may as well ask me why I breathe. I haven't written all my life though. It started when I was 18. Slowly but surely the ideas kept coming and then I was flooded with them, and thankfully they haven't stopped. I write for many reasons. Partly it's because if I don't write these stories no-one else will, partly it's because I want to contribute to the world, partly it's because I have a burning desire to express myself and writing is the best way I know how to do that. 

2 What inspired you?

I don't think I was really inspired by anything. It just sort of happened that I was bored and had an idea and it went from there. Of course, as I've read more and been exposed to more of the world I have been inspired. I studied Philosophy at university and that opened my mind to a lot of possibilities, and I've traveled a fair amount and have been lucky enough to meet some great people who have sparked some ideas. I suppose the main idea that inspires me is that I want to inspire someone else! I love that feeling when you read a book and you think, 'wow, that's exactly how I feel, someone else understands' and I hope that somewhere someone will read my book and feel similarly. 

3. Your favourite thing you have written - book/scene/blog post?

That's a tough question! I'll have to think about that a bit. I'm very proud of my novel 'Fraudulent' that I just published. There's also a few poems that when I look over I think, 'did I really write that?!' particularly one that was inspired by Watchmen. But if I had to choose just one thing it would probably be a short story I wrote called Incestua, which is included in my short story collection 'I, Tomorrow? and Other Stories'. I really love Greek mythology and this was a little tribute to the Greek epics and I think, well, I hope, that I got the tone right so it feels quite authentic. 

4. A bit about yourself.

Let's see...I'm 27, I live in Southampton, England. I'm interested in most things, I think I'm pretty normal, I like watching movies and I read a lot. I like travelling and try to get away when I can. Most of my time is spent writing but my creativity isn't limited to that; I'm also in the process of designing a board game.


Thanks for the interview!

Robert D. Spake

No comments:

Post a Comment