Thursday 21 January 2016

♥ Q&A With Petie Mccarty ♥

Cinderella's fairy tale moves to Jupiter Island, Florida where Lily Foster, owner of an eclectic landscape nursery, is mistaken for a wealthy socialite by billionaire resort developer Rhett Buchanan. Overdue for a little romance in her life, Lily is anxious for one fabulous date with her handsome prince, so she cultivates her inadvertent masquerade. Rhett Buchanan has become jaded with the Palm Beach social scene, dominated by scheming women desperate for more money -- his money. Rhett falls hard when he meets Lily Foster. She is a breath of fresh air after the smog of gold diggers constantly surrounding him. For Rhett and Lily, it's love at first sight until her deception comes to light and pitches their relationship into a disastrous tailspin. Well-meaning friends are determined to intercede and resort to inept high jinks to reunite the estranged couple while a wicked ex-girlfriend plays dirty to keep the couple apart.

Q&A



So tell us a bit about yourself?

I would love to and thank you for allowing me to spend time with your Afternoon Booker readers today and to share my newest release, Cinderella Busted.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Zoology, which was no help at all when I decided to write romance novels as a second career. However, my particular background did afford me several unique assignments during my early career as a state biologist, which included doing aquatic plant surveys of Florida lakes and streams by airboat. Many of those off-the-wall assignments provided background for my future stories.

For example, everything that happened to the heroine in Everglades during her safari through the River of Grass happened to me at some time during my career: the bug storm, swimming with gators, the leeches, the heart-stopping airboat maneuvers. Everything, that is, except getting stranded overnight with a hunky airboat guide. I never got one of those, so I wrote my own -- an especially sexy one, if I do say so myself. *wink* I hope you check him out and fall in love with him — just like I did.

I was lucky enough to spend the bulk of my career as an aquatic biologist for the Walt Disney World Resort. What could be more magical than driving by Cinderella's Castle on your way to work every day? I had the fun of working in the land of fairy tales by day and creating my own romantic fairy tales by night. I eventually said good-bye to my wonderful "day" job to write my stories full-time.

At present, I live—and write—on the beautiful Cumberland Plateau with my horticulturist husband, a spoiled-rotten English springer spaniel addicted to green olives stuffed with pimento, and a talkative Nanday conure named Sassy who made a cameo appearance in Angel to the Rescue.

Have you always wanted to write?

I came late to the world of publishing and had never considered writing until about ten years ago. I think it was living in the heart of the theme park entertainment industry that constantly tweaked my imagination and made me want to write.

This will sound crazy, but I have always seen movie shorts/scenes running in my head -- even as a kid -- usually when presented with some lengthy mindless task. [Think lawn mowing, vacuuming, or painting.] Probably stems from a subconscious need to keep myself entertained. Eventually, full-length features appeared instead of just a scene or two. I decided to put them on paper and my writing career began, though my first two novels live quite happily in a desk drawer in my office.



Is Cinderella one of your favourite fairy tales?

Of course! Though Beauty and the Beast is my all-time favorite. Of all the Disney princesses, Cinderella is everyone's -- regardless of age -- hands down favorite and always has been. Yes, even middle-aged women visit the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique. *grin* So, it came as no surprise to me when the Cinderella Busted movie popped into my head.

What inspired this story?

I'm excited about my December release, Cinderella Busted. Not only is this the start of another new series, but I also am blessed to have a second publisher, Soul Mate Publishing. This new series brand is: The Cinderella Romances...fall in love with the fairy tale all over again.

The series will provide unlimited opportunities to retell the classic fairy tale in modern-day locales with different heroines playing the part of Cinderella. How fun to get to retell the fairy tale a dozen different ways. Sometimes you'll know who Prince Charming is at the get-go and sometimes you won't.

I can't explain why certain movies start running in my head, and I wrote Cinderella Busted long before Disney's Cinderella movie came out last spring. You see, my sweetheart is a gardener—though he would roll his eyes at that and say horticulturist—and I met him when we both worked at Walt Disney World. [He was the landscape manager for the opening of EPCOT Center.] So, I had often had movie scenes flicker in and out of my imagination with a gardener as the romantic heroine. When I decided to do a Cinderella series, the rest of that movie fell into place. I'm just thankful the Betting on Cinderella movie already started rolling, so the wait for book 2 in the series won't be long.

Tea or coffee?

Tea, only when iced, and 4 cups of coffee daily, all before noon.

Pizza or burger?

I never got pizza growing up, so I never developed a huge taste for it. Isn't that crazy? So, while I eat and enjoy pizza on occasion, it is never my first pick. I will always go for a burger.

A random fact about yourself?

I am one of seven preacher's kids, which probably explains why thus far in my writing career, I have only written PG-13 romance, safe enough for teens.

I want to thank Afternoon Booker and their loyal readers for allowing me to spend time with them today and share stories about my books. Happy reading or writing to all -- your pick!
About Petie McCarty
Petie spent a large part of her career working as a biologist at Walt Disney World -- "The Most Magical Place on Earth" -- where she enjoyed working in the land of fairy tales by day and creating her own romantic fairy tales by night. She eventually said good-bye to her "day" job to write her stories full-time.  
Petie shares her home on the beautiful Cumberland Plateau with her horticulturist husband, a spoiled-rotten English Springer spaniel addicted to pimento-stuffed green olives, and a noisy Nanday conure named Sassy who made a cameo appearance in Angel to the Rescue.
Social Media Links:

2 comments :

  1. Petie, I would've put you down as a tea drinker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know you were a PK! Sounds like you have a winner. Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top